The Uyghur people of the Xinjiang region in China are facing a brutal government campaign to destroy their core religious and cultural identity. China has turned the Xinjiang region into a repressive military-police state where Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities face intrusive technological surveillance, modern day slavery, forced sterilizations and abortions, and imprisonment in so-called “re-education” concentration camps.
The government also uses many Uyghurs as slave labor to produce goods in Xinjiang and in several other regions of China. Government and media reports have determined that:
Many Uyghurs face enslavement through forced labor fields & factories
Products, including face masks, made with forced Uyghur labor have entered and been sold in American and western markets
Evidence of Uyghur forced labor was found in the supply chains of 82 global companies, including Apple, BMW, Gap, Nike, and Volkswagen
Learn more about the Uyghur’s situation and what you can do to help stand for freedom for these oppressed people.
About eleven million Uyghurs live in the northwestern region of Xinjiang, China and the large majority are Muslim.
Learn more about these people and why they are facing persecution below.
Click below to see the imprisoned reality that so many Uyghurs face.
Forced Sterilization and Abortion
Some experts are calling this coordinated campaign to reduce Uyghur birthrates a “demographic genocide.” The AP reports that "The state regularly subjects minority women to pregnancy checks, and forces intrauterine devices, sterilization and even abortion on hundreds of thousands"
Modern Day Slavery
The products of these enslaved people are even sold in American markets. To help stop the Chinese government from profiting off of slave labor, take a minute to email your Congressperson with our advocacy toolkit.
Through cameras, phone tracking, and AI analysis, Chinese authorities look for any indication of potential non-compliance with their social vision. Residents of Xinjiang are rated on a social compliance scale based on this surveillance
This technologies are not only used in Xinjiang, but are potentially going to be used in the rest of China and are already being exported to other authoritarian governments.
Actions for Individuals
Stand with the Uyghurs in China and ask your Congressperson to support the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act which will help prevent the Chinese government from profiting off of their brutal repression of religious freedom. Through our advocacy toolkit it only takes one minute to contact your Members of Congress!Send a Letter
Actions for the U.S. Government
A coalition of 100 organizations and leaders who have signed the attached multi-faith letter asking for Congresspeople to co-sponsor and support the passage of the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act (S.3471 & H.R.6210).
This legislation will help protect the fundamental human rights of China’s diverse religious communities by mandating that business verify that they and their suppliers are not supporting the brutal forced labor practices of the Chinese Government. Please reach out to Senator Rubio’s or Representative McGovern’s office to support this vital bill as a cosponsor.View Letter
- Twitter announces removal of over 2000 CCP propaganda accounts discussing Uyghurs - Colorado Springs Gazette December 2, 2021
- Leaked documents link top Chinese leaders to crackdown on Uyghurs - Deutsche Welle December 1, 2021
- Uyghurs Fleeing Beijing's Reach - NHK WORLD November 30, 2021
- Uyghurs push for China boycott and bill banning some imports - Toronto Sun November 28, 2021
- [Bookmark] Finding Courage to Protect the Uyghurs, One Municipality at a Time - JAPAN Forward November 27, 2021
- 'The Perfect Police State' unveils how China uses surveillance on Uyghurs - Here And Now November 26, 2021
- Mass Surveillance Fuels Oppression of Uyghurs and Palestinians - Human Rights Watch November 24, 2021
- China's crimes against the Uyghurs | TheHill - The Hill November 24, 2021
- Opinion: IOC backs China and Beijing Games instead of condemning treatment of Peng Shuai, Uyghurs - USA TODAY November 22, 2021
- With Parliament back, Canada's Uyghurs press Ottawa for China boycott - Toronto Sun November 22, 2021
- Video shot by activist fresh proof of China's atrocities against Uyghurs - Hindustan Times November 21, 2021
- When athletes get political: Support for the Uyghurs ahead of the Beijing Winter Olympics - Global Voices Kenya November 19, 2021
- The West must do more to protect Uyghurs from China's online harassment | TheHill - The Hill November 17, 2021
- Persecuted at home, Uyghurs sustain their culture abroad - US Embassy in Georgia November 17, 2021
- China's persecution of Uyghurs is preview of wider surveillance scheme, lawmakers say - Radio Free Asia November 17, 2021
- 'Utterly Shameful': Uyghurs' Frustration Grows Over Lack Of International Action Against China - Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty November 15, 2021
- Protests outside Chinese embassy in UK over Beijing's treatment of Uyghurs - ANI News November 14, 2021
Uyghurs for Sale Report
The Australian Strategic Policy Institute investigated how the forced labor camps in China work and how the products of those camps have entered the global supply chains of many Western companies.
HRW Uyghur Page
Human Rights Watch continually releases articles, videos, and resources on their site that provide updates on the Uyghur situation.
Coalition to End Forced Uyghur Labour
This is a coalition of civil society organisations and trade unions working to ensure that leading companies are not supporting or benefiting from the enslavement of the Uyghur population.